Namami Gange Yojana: The Ganges River has been the heart of various Indian cultures since ancient times. However, over time, its purity has deteriorated due to a lack of proper protection. The Namami Gange Yojana was initiated with the aim of revitalizing the Ganges. To clean the Ganges water, the government has undertaken several initiatives and is actively working to purify it. In this article, we provide all the information related to the Namami Gange Yojana and when it was launched.
Namami Gange Yojana 2023
The Namami Gange Yojana is a rejuvenation project by the central government to clean and beautify the Ganges river. It involves efforts to divert clean water into the Ganges by diverting polluted water sources. Several ghats and purification centers are being constructed at the mouth of this 2500-kilometer-long river to purify the Ganges water. It’s not the first project aimed at cleaning the Ganges river. In 1985, the central government had launched the ‘Ganga Action Plan’ to start the Ganga cleaning campaign, but it didn’t receive sufficient funding or efforts on such a large scale. Therefore, the chances of success for the Namami Gange Yojana are quite strong.
Objectives of Namami Gange Yojana 2023
- Immediate short-term actions to reduce pollution at the discharge points on the riverbanks for resettlement and containment of existing STPs and to regulate sewage flow.
- Maintain the continuous flow of the river cycle without altering natural weather patterns.
- Restore and manage surface and groundwater supplies.
- Revive and protect the natural flora of the city.
- Protect and strengthen the aquatic and riparian biodiversity of the Ganges River Basin.
- Enable public participation in water conservation, regeneration, and maintenance processes.
Major Functions of Namami Gange Yojana 2023
- Implementation of the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) program.
- Integration of supported projects under the National Ganga River Basin Project, supported by the World Bank.
- Oversight and management of projects approved by the Indian government under the aegis of NGRBA.
- Fulfillment of additional research or duties that can be assigned by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR, RD & GJ) regarding the restoration of the Ganges.
- Determine and amend regulations and procedures for NMCG cases, as well as contribute or amend any procedures that are incompatible with NMCG objectives.
- Perform all activities and take any other actions that are suitable or relevant to achieve NGRBA’s objectives.
Implementation Of Namami Gange Yojana 2023
- At the national level, a high-level Task Force under the Cabinet Secretary is established, aided by NMCG.
- At the state level, a state committee under the Chief Secretary is established, aided by SPAMG.
- At the district level, a district committee under the District Magistrate is established.
Namami Gange Yojana 2023 Contact Information
- National Mission for Clean Ganga, Ministry of Jal Shakti
- (Department of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation) Government of India
- 1st Floor, Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
- India Gate, New Delhi – 110002
Other Links –